Complete Discovery Service
The RISC Networks Complete Discovery Service provides customers with the information that is critical to mitigate risk, execute quality planning, and effect knowledgeable decision making for IT Transformation initiatives such as Cloud and data center migrations.
RISC Network’s experienced engineers will follow a well-established process and methodology, leveraging our award winning ITOA Platform, to perform a comprehensive, data focused, discovery and analysis of the targeted compute environment.
The result is a fully populated portal, with application stacks that have been defined and validated. This provides an application centric view of the environment that can be leveraged to make data driven decisions for Cloud and Data Center Migration projects, Security Reviews and many other use cases. Additional customer enablement is provided in the form of a knowledge transfer workshops.
Description of Services
RISC Networks will conduct an engagement kickoff meeting to set expectations about the purpose of the engagement, the delivery approach and timelines, the amount of time and effort required from the participants, and the expected milestones and deliverables. The objectives of the meeting are focused on:
- Introduction of the delivery team, roles, and responsibilities
- Project goals and purpose of engagement
- Explanation of the expected engagement deliverables and work products
- Confirm prerequisites have been met prior to engagement start
- Conduct joint WebEx session with the Customer to deploy the Virtual Appliance and begin the discovery:
- Deploy Virtual Appliance(s) into Customer’s VMware environment
- Power on Virtual Appliance and perform initial bootstrapping procedures
- Input IP address information
- Input assessment activation code
- Input subnets to scan or import from CSV file
- Input SNMP credentials and test
- Input SSH credentials and test
- Input Windows credentials and test
- Input VMware vCenter and / or ESXi credentials and test
- Start initial discovery
- Review the Asset Report with customer to validate all expected assets are discovered and accessible
- If there are inaccessible devices that are in-scope for the discovery, then assist the customer to take the following actions:
- Determine cause (incorrect credentials, connectivity etc.)
- Take corrective action (remediate)
- Initiate a rescan
- RISC Networks will assist customer with up to two (2) rescans
- Obtain signoff of discovery results (Asset Report)
- Asset Discovery and Validation efforts will be limited to a two (2) week time period after which RISC Networks will license the accessible workloads and proceed with Application Review
- License all in-scope workloads
- Licensed data collection must run for a minimum of seven (7) days prior to analysis
- Review customer completed application questionnaire information and prepare for analysis
- Review discovery data to ensure visibility into all critical system dependencies and associated network and performance metrics
- Review Summary of Collection dashboard
- Review Out of Scope Services
- Note any discrepancies and assist customer to remediate as needed or determine as out of scope
- Configure application stack membership for all licensed workloads
- Review and refine the automatically generated application stacks, taking system dependencies, customer input (i.e. Application Questionnaire), best practices, and other factors into account
- Each licensed workload will be placed into one (1) application stack
- The RISC Networks ITOA Platform will automatically place devices that provide Infrastructure services such as Active Directory, Microsoft Exchange, Citrix, Antivirus, and Backup into applicable RISC Service Groups (RSG)
- The review and disposition of licensed workloads into application stacks should be considered “best effort” and customer input and participation is critical to completing this effort in the most accurate and timely fashion
- RISC Networks may request additional information and / or working sessions (conducted via Webex) with the customer as needed to facilitate this process
- Submit defined application stacks to the customer for approval upon completion
- RISC Networks will provide best-practices guidance for reviewing and approving application stacks by conducting one (1) application review session with designated customer personnel
- Customers may submit questions and change requests for application stacks for a period of up to two (2) weeks after which RISC Networks will assume the stack approved
- The RISC Networks ITOA Platform will provide inventory and usage based cost analysis for the discovered IT estate and defined application stacks
- Conduct knowledge transfer workshop to review best practices for using the RISC Networks ITOA Platform in support of Discovery and IT planning initiatives:
- Review Cloud Cost reporting including inventory and usage reporting for:
- Instance matching
- Total day cost
- Review the application stack rationalization process
- Review Cloud Cost reporting including inventory and usage reporting for:
- Review application of the portal’s reporting and analytics features in the support of various use cases:
- Identification and validation of early migration candidates
- Network segmentation
- Security reviews
- Review available online resources
- Includes up to two (2) working sessions of up to two (2) hours each (conducted via WebEx)
- Hosted Final Review (WebEx)
- Obtain signoff
The following provides a high-level overview of the expected timelines to complete each of the project phases outlined in this document.
The timelines associated with the “Asset Discovery and Validation” and the “Application Stack Review and Configuration” will vary based on the size of the environment and other factors. Smaller environments consisting of 500 devices or less can typically be completed within 8 weeks. Larger environments consisting of 2,500 or more devices can take 14-16 weeks to complete.
RISC Networks Professional Services will make every effort to meet customers timeline requirements. However, as there are factors that are outside of our control we cannot guarantee specific target dates. Customers can minimize the time required to complete the services engagement by ensuring all prerequisites are completed prior to deployment and by providing information requested in the Application Questionnaire. Please see the following for more information:
- Populated RISC Networks portal with defined application stacks
- Asset information
- Application dependencies
- Inventory and usage based Cloud cost and instance sizing information
- Application classification dashboard
- Hosted Final Review (Webex)
Tasks not specifically stated as being performed by RISC Networks in this document are outside of the scope of this project and are not covered under the fees of this services engagement. Specifically excluded, unless expressly stated in a section of this document, are:
- Remediation of access issues (e.g. WMI, SNMP, SSH)
This section describes the responsibilities associated with the services RISC Networks will provide to Customer.
- Coordinate activities of all RISC Networks’ resources
- Provide Customer with RISC Networks’ resources that have the skills and expertise necessary to properly execute the requirements and services set forth in this document
- Provide any requests for information or scheduling in advance
- Respond to Customer inquiries and / or requests within 24 hours (excluding Federal Holidays)
This section describes the responsibilities of the Customer to RISC Networks with regard to this project:
- All work will be done remotely.
- All work will be performed according to a schedule agreed upon by both parties.
- All work is performed during normal business hours (US Eastern Time Zone) and workdays (weekdays and non-holidays).
- Customer will provide access to computer systems as required for RISC Networks team to perform tasks as outlined in this document. This will consist of the following:
- Customer will participate in joint WebEx sessions to facilitate remote deployment of Virtual Appliance.
- Customer will provide all input needed to bootstrap the Virtual Appliance (subnets, SNMP strings, credentials, etc.).
- Customer is responsible for executing all items discussed in the Pre-Deployment Checklist prior to remote deployment of Virtual Appliance. Any additional time required of RISC Networks personnel to perform the duties of this document as a result of Customer’s lack of completion of these checklist items will be considered billable time payable by Customer.
- Customer will have a fully installed and configured VMware infrastructure as required to support the RISC Networks Virtual Appliance.
- Customer will provide information requested in the Application Questionnaire.
- The Customer shall provide access to personnel knowledgeable with the infrastructure and applications as needed to perform tasks as outlined in this document. This includes, but is not limited to, active participation in application stack review sessions and validating the resulting applications stacks.
- Customer will provide a single point of contact through which all activities will be coordinated and scheduled. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Identification of application owners who can review and approve application stacks
- Coordination and scheduling application review sessions with application owners
- Facilitation of a timely application review and approval process
- Customer will respond to RISC Networks’ meeting requests, or requests for information, within 24 hours (excluding Federal Holidays).
- Customer must accept the RISC Networks’ EULA and Professional Services EULA addendum. The EULA and Professional Services EULA addendum are made available in the platform and must be accepted by the customer during the initial implementation of the platform.
- On completion of the services engagement, RISC Networks will submit a project closeout and signoff request to the identified contact. If no response is received after five (5) business days a follow email will be sent. If no response is received after five (5) additional business days (10 total) the project will be closed out.